Re: Installation of Octave on MacBook Pro under OS X Mountain Lion

From: Stuart Edwards
Subject: Re: Installation of Octave on MacBook Pro under OS X Mountain Lion
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 09:49:28 -0400

On Apr 12, 2013, at 2:08 PM, Michael Farmer wrote:

Hi,

I have for some time been attempting to install "Octave'" on my MacBook Pro (OS X 10.8.3, 4GB, 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5) with little success. My initial attempt was by using MacPorts which at one point appeared to be succeeding only to end in a message "Error: the following dependencies were not installed ……."

In desperation I Googled "Octave Problems with Mac OS X" and found a conversation between Barry Fitzgerald and Stuart Edwards  at:-

 which ultimately resulted in success, so I thought, give this a try!!!

Having followed the procedure given I arrived at a point where I had both an Octave and Gnuplot icon in my applications folder. Upon clicking the Octave icon, I consistently get a message in a pop-up window which says " Octave.app is damaged and should be moved to the Trash". I have tried deleting both Octave and Gnuplot by dragging their icons from the Applications folder to the Trash, deleting the downloaded .dmg file and starting from scratch. The file (octave-3.4.0-i386.dmg) was downloaded from:-

I realise that the most probable cause of my problem is simple ignorance on my part but I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Mick Farmer

Mick - this has been a long standing problem - and one that I had a fix for that worked for a while.  However it was never tested on OS X 10.8.3 and currently, I can't even make it work on OS X 10.6.8.  Others recommend using package managers such as Fink or Macports for OS X installations, so that may be your best option.

Stu