Re: Installation of Octave on MacBook Pro under OS X Mountain Lion

From: Lukas Reichlin
Subject: Re: Installation of Octave on MacBook Pro under OS X Mountain Lion
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 22:03:35 +0200

On 12.04.2013, at 20:08, Michael Farmer <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>               I have for some time been attempting to install "Octave'" on my
> MacBook Pro (OS X 10.8.3, 4GB, 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5) with little success.
> My initial attempt was by using MacPorts which at one point appeared to be
> succeeding only to end in a message "Error: the following dependencies were
> not installed ……."
>
>       In desperation I Googled "Octave Problems with Mac OS X" and found a
> conversation between Barry Fitzgerald and Stuart Edwards  at:-
>

> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-Problem-with-Mac-OS-X-td4292095.html
>

>  which ultimately resulted in success, so I thought, give this a try!!!
>

>       Having followed the procedure given I arrived at a point where I had
> both an Octave and Gnuplot icon in my applications folder. Upon clicking the
> Octave icon, I consistently get a message in a pop-up window which says "
> Octave.app is damaged and should be moved to the Trash". I have tried
> deleting both Octave and Gnuplot by dragging their icons from the
> Applications folder to the Trash, deleting the downloaded .dmg file and
> starting from scratch. The file (octave-3.4.0-i386.dmg) was downloaded from:-
>

> http://sourceforge.net/projects/octave/files/Octave%20MacOSX%20Binary/2011-04-21%20binary%20of%20Octave%203.4.0/
>

>               I realise that the most probable cause of my problem is simple
> ignorance on my part but I hope someone can point me in the right direction.
>
>       Thanks,
>

>       Mick Farmer

Hi Mick

The Fink package manager has up-to-date versions of Octave and all of its
dependencies:

http://fink.thetis.ig42.org

Note that the address above is their backup site because their main site is
down:

http://www.finkproject.org

I'm using Fink too so just ask if you're running into problems.

Best regards,
Lukas