Re: Matlab compiled mex files in octave

From: Henry Gomersall
Subject: Re: Matlab compiled mex files in octave
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 15:47:26 +0000

On Wed, 2013-02-20 at 10:10 -0500, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> On 20 February 2013 10:06, Henry Gomersall <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2013-02-20 at 09:22 -0500, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> >> This is also violates Octave's copyright. Please take down this
> blog
> >> post. Instead, pressure the authors of the library to release
> source,
> >> since you cannot use this library in Octave without it.
> >
> > *sigh* No, I will not remove the blog post.
>
> Please do so. I do not want this to get unpleasant.

Is that a threat? I will not do so just because you think you can
pressure me into doing so. While we're on causes, I think individuals
that publish to the web have a duty to maintain stability of links.

The issue of individuals being bullied into kowtowing through tenuous
legal arguments by copyright holders goes well beyond free software, and
IMO is a much bigger issue.

It may not surprise you to know that I disagree with you regarding free
software as an exclusive cause. I think free software is fantastic, and
in many instances, by far the best way to develop software. I'm thankful
to every single person that publishes their code under a free software
license, as I hope they are to me for the code I publish as such. That
said, sometimes one has a job to do and the world is bigger than
software. I have huge respect for RMS, for his code, for the work he's
done and for all his efforts, as well as to you guys that keep up the
momentum; I just disagree with you on this issue.

Out of interest, is _all_ the code you write free software?

Cheers,

Henry