Re: Matlab compiled mex files in octave

From: louis scott
Subject: Re: Matlab compiled mex files in octave
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 16:00:24 +0000

Get? Really? ;_;

That kind of language only serves to give one pause about contributing to this project.  Who needs to assume any risk of legal liability?  I for one, do not.

I have been building my own translator from .m <-> .R and tinkering with another for python in ANTLR. Perhaps my time is better served there.

For anyone interested in a thoughtful reply to the question, below is what John Eaton had to say a while ago:
In brief, this is an issue with the GPL and the spirit of Free as in not beer. http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?FreeAsInBeer
The SundialsTB is the standard, it does not provide bindings to libraries, you have to do that yourself.
As for m files, they are free of restrictions.

From John Eaton:

Before I respond to your points, I want to say that my reason for
improving Paul Kienzle's original MEX interface code and including it
in Octave was to allow Octave to run free software that uses MEX files
(my particular goal was to run SundialsTB in Octave).  The point was
to liberate that software from Matlab and increase the amount of free
software available to Octave users, not to enable people to write
proprietary code for Octave.  Regardless of what we decide for MEX
files, I still would not encourage anyone to write proprietary
additions to Octave.

Full thread below.

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Further-on-MEX-td1653582i20.html

Here is a reply to the use of Sundials:

The sundials tar file doesn't contain an Octave package, so it won't
install with the pkg command.  But it does have a .m file script that
can be used to install the necessary MEX and .m files with Octave.
Unpack the sundials-2.4.0.tar.gz file, then run Octave and cd to the
sundials-2.4.0/sundialsTB directory and run install_STB at the Octave
prompt.  That script will ask you a few questions, compile the
necesary files and then install the files in a directory you choose.

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Installing-sundials-2-4-0-tar-gz-in-octave-for-windows-td3247284.html#a3247306

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 3:10 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:
On 20 February 2013 10:06, Henry Gomersall <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-02-20 at 09:22 -0500, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>> This is also violates Octave's copyright. Please take down this blog
>> post. Instead, pressure the authors of the library to release source,
>> since you cannot use this library in Octave without it.
>
> *sigh* No, I will not remove the blog post.

Please do so. I do not want this to get unpleasant.

- Jordi G. H.