Re: Matlab compiled mex files in octave

From: Francesco Potortì
Subject: Re: Matlab compiled mex files in octave
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 17:46:45 +0100

>The nvidia binary blob isn't a grey area. It's a clear GPL violation.
>The Linux hackers just choose to not enforce their copyright here
>either.

I have read different statements on this issue.  Specifically, if I am
not wrong, I once read Linus Torvalds' reasoning why this is not a
copyright violation, which seemed sound to me.  Something like: it is
not obvious that using the internal of a program is a derivation, so it
is up to the author decide, and I decide that it is not, so this is my
inpterpretation of the licence, and since I am the author this is the
only one that counts.

If someone have references to this I would be interested.

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice:  +39.050.621.3058 (op.2111)
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Mobile: +39.348.8283.107