Re: Problem using the hanning function in embedded mode

From: Macy
Subject: Re: Problem using the hanning function in embedded mode
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 06:32:45 -0800

You probably noticed these already but just in case...

If you wish to 'presrve' the true rms of any signal, be sure to multiply the
hanning function by 2, else you will apparently attenuate the signal and lower
the energy in your packet. For hamming, multiply by 2/1.08

For any real signal, like an audio signal, the FFT yields a 'duplicated'
spectrum. Usually the lower half the spectrum is of any real interest. To then
preserve true rms, multiply the FFT with sqrt(2)/N, where N is the number of
terms in your FFT. Then, the values that you retrieve from the lower half
spectrum are true rms values.

You can leave out all these coefficients and obtain answers in 'relative'
terms. But getting results in true rms has the advantage of enabling you to
compare spectrums derived from different packet sizes [equivalent to changing
the BW in a spectrum analyzer]; compare calculations to actual measurements;
and relate to noise in the system, etc.

Also, hamming is awful for 'out of sync' signals and hanning is a bit better.
Yet there is another function used by the ADC/DAC industry which is a bit more
complicated. Find TI's App Notes relating to their 24 bit audio ADC's
especially the ADS1282. They use a different window function that provides
better separation between signals [to make their products look better] when the
signals are not sync'ed to the ADC process for use in audio systems.

If you're making some type of presentation of results you may wish to use the
same type window function to 'lower' the energy in the spectrum between
signals. Make the display 'cleaner'.