Re: nVIDIA cuBLAS and GNU Octave

From: José Luis García Pallero
Subject: Re: nVIDIA cuBLAS and GNU Octave
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 19:35:43 +0100

2012/12/23 John W. Eaton <address@hidden>:
> On 23-Dec-2012, Markus Bergholz wrote:
>
> | only work if you have a cuda card and driver!), or one day the Cuda stuff
> and
> | licence gets tolareted by Octave developers.
>
> Octave's license isn't going to change, so I don't think we have a
> choice to someday "tolerate" a non-free, GPL-incompatible license.
> I'm not interested in linking Octave with non-free software, or
> encouraging people to do so.  What we need is to have software that
> does the job of working with the GPU that is distributed under terms
> that are compatible with the GPL.

I totally agree with this.

One solution could be, for example, to use ViennaCL
(http://viennacl.sourceforge.net/). There is distributed under MIT
license, that is compatible with the GPL. It contains an
implementation if BLAS and some matrix decompositions in OpenCL. But
it has a problem (or I think it is a problem): is possible to use
OpenCL code without using non-free software? About the library
implementation, exists pocl (http://pocl.sourceforge.net/), but AFAIK
only produces code for CPUs. An the last problem is: is possible to
run code in a GPU without the privative drivers?

Cheers

> jwe

José Luis García Pallero
address@hidden