Re: Woctave-another gui front end

From: Francesco Potortì
Subject: Re: Woctave-another gui front end
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 18:47:04 +0100

>Frankly, Octave is a beautiful piece of work, but  it suffers from
>the Open Source mentality that you need to earn what you use.

No, it suffers from the fact that no one has done it yet.  As soon as
someone is motivated enough (e.g. by paying them), it will be done...

>                                                              This is
>a piece of software which one cannot recommend to anyone at a decent
>university where they have a budget, simply because the time to get it
>to work is 3 or four days which is more than a Matlab license would
>cost.

Oh, no, that's on Mac only.  I occasionally use it on Windows and it was
relatively easy to install, and I routinely use it on Debian, where
installing it is a piece of cake.

You make a virtual machine, install Debian on it, install Octave from
the packaging system.  That's very easy.

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice:  +39.050.315.3058 (op.2111)
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Mobile: +39.348.8283.107