Re: [OctDev] low level I/O (GPIB, USBTMC, VXI11)

From: Francesco Potortì
Subject: Re: [OctDev] low level I/O (GPIB, USBTMC, VXI11)
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 10:37:18 +0100

Julien Salort:
>> Now I have a bunch of Octave-only code that I can't share with
>> anyone. If I had chosen Matlab in the first place, I would be able to
>> publish the code without restriction. This is very paradoxical and I had
>> not anticipated this problem.

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso:
>The problem isn't Octave. It's the license of the non-free libraries
>it's linking to. Matlab's license is even more restrictive and I
>imagine they would also consider you linking to both libraries to be
>worse. The GPL is far more permissive than Matlab's license, so I
>imagine Matlab's EULA would also pose the same problem.

I definitely think not.  I can't imagine the Matlab lawyers ask anyone
to unpublish code that allows Matlab to link with instrumentation.  That
would be against their own interest.

This is a real problem for Octave.  If really it is not currently
possible to publish a wrapper that allows Octave to call an external
instrumentation routine, then adding an exception to the Octave licence
should be considered.

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice:  +39.050.315.3058 (op.2111)
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Mobile: +39.348.8283.107