Re: [OctDev] low level I/O (GPIB, USBTMC, VXI11)

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: [OctDev] low level I/O (GPIB, USBTMC, VXI11)
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 13:30:54 -0500

On 25 November 2012 06:15, Julien Salort <address@hidden> wrote:
> Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
> <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I've never been clear if this is really ok, but it seems to be a
>> common interpretation.
>
> Fine.
> But then, why did you encourage me publicly, on Feb. 8th, to publish the
> sources ?
> In case you don't remember, here is a link to the thread, entitled "Data
> Acquisition with Octave":
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.octave.devel/6512/focus=39562
>
> Personally, I was very reluctant to publish the sources because I feared
> there would be a legal issue. You are one of the people who convinced me
> that it is ok and that I should publish the source anyway.

I'm sorry. I made a mistake. I misunderstood the GPL. I got
uncomfortable with now how there is Octave code that is meant to be
linked to non-free libraries, so I asked again, and it seems I was
wrong about it.

Please unpublish this code. We do not want GPL-infringing Octave code
out there. Instead, pressure the hardware providers to give you free
libraries to the hardware that you already bought and thus you should
own and do whatever you please with, including modfiying the libraries
that talk to it.

- Jordi G. H.