Re: pkg problems

From: Terry Duell
Subject: Re: pkg problems
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 14:48:33 +1100

On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 11:38:13 +1100, Carnë Draug <address@hidden> wrote:

[snip]

At the moment pkg is a bit broken when you mix local and global
packages. Seems like you installed some with Fedora package manager
and others pkg. That tends to create problems. We are working on this
and hopefully should be fixed in the next version.

Thinking about this a bit more, I would really like to update some of my packages, preferably now, as I don't know how long it will be before the proposed fixes will be available to me.

As I have 'image' installed from the Fedora repo it is simple to uninstall that using Fedoras 'Add/Remove software'.

What I'm not sure how to tackle is the removal of packages that have been installed by 'pkg' but now not seen by 'pkg'.

I had considered simply moving all the packages in my /home/terry/octave dir and then running 'pkg' to install the lot again, in the process getting the updated packages that I need and, presumably then having a system in which 'pkg' knows about everything, but I think I would then have a .octaverc file that is all out of kilter.

Can someone please suggest the 'proper' process (assuming that there is one) that I should follow to get to an updated set of packages, so 'pkg' knows what it should know and Octave paths are correct?

Cheers,
--
Regards,
Terry Duell