Re: pkg problems

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: Re: pkg problems
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 20:49:58 -0800 (PST)

----- Original Message -----

[snip]
> At the moment pkg is a bit broken when you mix local and global
> packages. Seems like you installed some with Fedora package manager
> and others pkg. That tends to create problems. We are working on this
> and hopefully should be fixed in the next version.
>
> Carnë

'pkg.m', as I wrote many times, _quite_ a bit broken.

As I wrote many times, a _spec_ should be written first, i.e. the spec of the
whole Octave packaging.

Coexistence of global and local packages requires either change of the intent
expressed in a comment in 'pkg.m', or yet another _spec_ - for Octave's
namespaces. And, of course, implementation of the spec.

Furthermore, as I see the issues/problems, Octave's 'mkoctfile' should be
somewhat remade, especially for those, who, like myself, build Octave from
sources and install it in non-system location, but it's a relatively cosmetic
issue.

At the moment I am using the original 'mkoctfile', and I am using some
workarounds outside of it to mitigate its problems.

'mkoctfile' is not buggy as such, it implements a wrong(ish) _spec_.

So, unless all the mentioned specs are published and properly discussed, my
expectation of the future 'pkg.m' are quite low.

Regards,
  Sergei.