Re: Octave's and Matlab's limitations

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Octave's and Matlab's limitations
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 17:35:05 -0500

On 21 November 2012 17:22, Dimitri Maziuk <address@hidden> wrote:

> I don't quite see the point: you can always run actual octave in a
> popen() call, the advantage of "pytave.eval( 'matlab code' )" over
> "os.popen( ['octave', '--eval', 'matlab code'] )" is lost on me -- if
> that's what they're trying to do: there seems to be zero documentation
> on the site, so who knows.

The actual benefit to Pytave is that it translates Octave data types
into Numpy datatypes. If you just did Popen, you'd have to parse the
text output that you get from Octave, but Pytave already does this and
does it without pipes or parsing.

I like Pytave. I think I'll try to improve its packaging and get it
packaged for Debian and RHEL.

- Jordi G. H.