Re: Octave's and Matlab's limitations

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: Re: Octave's and Matlab's limitations
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 15:04:12 -0800 (PST)

----- Original Message -----

[snip]

> Matlab has become a de-facto standard by providing an environment where it
> is easy to implement complex numerical algortihms without much knowledge of
> complex data structures. This ease of use did come at a cost but, on the
> other
> hand, it has facilitated the implementation of a huge amount of clever and
> useful programs written by people who would not have taken the effort to do
> so in a different language.

[snip
> c.

The code is smart, the language is idiotic.

Writing in a more normal language the same code would be much easier.

I.e. I completely disagree with "who would not have taken the effort to do so
in a different language".

Again, I am using Octave just because of packages, and I had to upgrade to
newer Octave versions with the accompanying suffering (I was quite happy with
3.0.5) because the packages started demanding it.

Hadn't it been for packages, I wouldn't have used Octave at all. My Perl + "C"
combination covers practically all my needs; from curiosity and understanding
of benefits of functional paradigm I would like to add OCaml to my toolbox.

Regards,
  Sergei.