Re: image, imshow and similar display empty axes

From: Jan-Timm Kuhr
Subject: Re: image, imshow and similar display empty axes
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 18:02:56 +0100

On 08.11.2012, at 14:27, edmund ronald wrote:

As mentioned the easy workaround for now is to use X11
> setenv GNUTERM x11

However, I think the ugly problem which needs to be addressed is that you don't have access to the image toolbox if you don't rebuild eg. with MacPorts.
Expecting people with a need for Octave on Mac to rebuild with MacPorts is like saying that car drivers should first mount the tires.

Edmund

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 2:13 PM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:

On Nov 8, 2012, at 4:30 AM, Jan-Timm Kuhr wrote:

> On 02.11.2012, at 14:20, Ben Abbott wrote:
>
>> *** Please "reply-all" and respond at the bottom of the email ***

>>> Thanks Ben but it does not seem to have anything to do with the scaling of the color map.
>>> Best,
>>> Jan
>>

>> With Octave 3.6.3 from Fink on MacOS 10.6.8 using Gnuplot 4.6 patchlevel 0 and AquaTerm v1.0.1.
>>
>> The command  image(rand(10)) produces a solid navy blue image. imagesc(rand(10)) produces random colors.
>>
>> I'm get the same result using Octave 3.4.0 from MacPorts (on MacOS 10.7.5 with Gnuplot 4.6 patchlevel 1 and AquaTerm v1.1.1).
>>
>> Where did you get your Octave, Gnuplot and AquaTerm?  And what version of MacOS are you running?
>>
>> Ben
>>

> Hello Ben,
> I got Octave using MacPorts. I'm quite sure I also got AquaTerm and Gnuplot there, also I might have had earlier manual installations from a different source.
> I'm running MacOS 10.7.5, Octave 3.6.3, AquaTerm 1.1.1, Gnuplot 4.6 patchlevel 1.
> Neither image nor images produce anything but an AquaTerm window which only contains a set of empty axes.
> Thanks a lot for your help,
> Jan

I"ve filed a bug report for this problem.

        http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3583459&group_id=2055&atid=102055

Perhaps it is best to avoid using AquaTerm with gnuplot? My gnuplot includes the variants below.

        gnuplot @4.6.1_0+aquaterm+luaterm+pangocairo+qt+x11 (active)

If you include the "qt" variant then the following should work ...

        setenv GNUTERM qt
        close all
        img = uint8 (round (255 * rand (5,4,3)));
        imwrite (img, "image.png", "png");
        img = imread ("image.png");
        image (img)

If it does not, verify that an earlier gnuplot isn't being called.  You can do that by typing

        system ("which gnuplot")

at Octave's prompt.

Ben