Re: image, imshow and similar display empty axes

From: edmund ronald
Subject: Re: image, imshow and similar display empty axes
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 02:00:10 +0100

For information about changes from previous versions, type `news'.

octave:1> graphics_toolkit gnuplot
octave:2> setenv GNUTERM qt
octave:3>  img = uint8 (round (255 * rand (5,4,3)));
octave:4> image (img)
Unknown or ambiguous terminal name 'qt'

gnuplot> set terminal qt
                      ^
         line 0: unknown or ambiguous terminal type; type just 'set terminal' for a list

octave:5> set terminal
error: invalid conversion from string to real N-d array
error: set: expecting graphics handle as first argument
octave:5>

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 1:35 AM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
On Nov 6, 2012, at 6:16 PM, edmund ronald wrote:

> I installed MacPorts octave-develon Mac 10.6.8 in order to be able to use the
> Image processing toolbox.
> I downloaded the Gnuplot from the Macsyma sourceforge archive, but also
> built one using the universla variant from Macports because my system was
> crashing.
>
> I can plot nicely from Octave with both X11 and Aquaterm.
> I can do Imread, and do Imshow to X11
> Imshow to Aquaterm brings up a blank window.
>
> If I may be allowed an aside to the maintainers of the "packaged" octave,
> compiling a version which cannot load in the image toolbox is not a smart
> move.  It took me some time to figure out the workaround of compiling
> Octave-devel

What do you refer to by "packaged" octave ?

What didin't work with regards to the image toolbox?

Regarding the blank AquaTerm image, a bug report has been filed with Gnuplot.

        http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3583459&group_id=2055&atid=102055

The Gnuplot provided by MacPorts includes a Qt terminal.  You may be happier with qt than with x11.

        graphics_toolkit gnuplot
        setenv GNUTERM qt
        img = uint8 (round (255 * rand (5,4,3)));
        image (img)

Ben