equivalent for C-style init: structname varname[] = {...} ?

From: Yury T.
Subject: equivalent for C-style init: structname varname[] = {...} ?
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 08:09:10 -0800 (PST)

Hi all

I can't find or figure out an equivalent for the C-style variable
initialization in Octave:

structname varname[] = { {<field1_value>,<field2_value>},
{<field1__value>,<field2_value>} };

This example of what I'd like to do in Octave is assuming structname having
two fields and the size of the array in structname units is defined by the
number of constant initializers.

Or are there good replacements for this sort of constructs, perhaps?

Please advise.