Re: function still 'missing' even after package installation

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: function still 'missing' even after package installation
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 08:37:04 -0400

On 1 November 2012 17:13, mrpurple <address@hidden> wrote:
> Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2 wrote
>> In Ubuntu, just do "sudo apt-get install octave-optim". The OF
>> packages are packaged. You don't have to use pkg install.
>
> Actually, I found that Ubuntu tried to revert my installation of octave 3.6
> to octave 3.2 when I did as you say.

What version of Ubuntu? 12.10 should have Octave 3.6. If using Ubuntu
12.10 you're getting Octave 3.2 instead, there's a packaging bug.

> So, I think I'll stick with installing packages as and when needed
> from within octave. Its not really any more difficult and it works
> for me.

Depending on the package, it is in fact more difficult. For example,
for the symbolic package, you'll have to chase down the GiNaC
dependencies yourself. You'll also have to manually fix the packages
yourself and chase dependencies again when you upgrade the Octave
version instead of letting apt do the chasing. With pkg.m, you're
essentially compiling and installing packages yourself instead of
getting the benefits of a robust package manager. Thus, apt is a far
better long-term choice than pkg.m.

- Jordi G. H.