Re: Is kolmogorov_smirnov_test_2 buggy?

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: Is kolmogorov_smirnov_test_2 buggy?
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 12:08:10 +0100

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 1:42 AM, Peng Yu <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The following shows that octave and R returns different results for
> K-S test. I think that the result from R is correct. Does anybody know
> why kolmogorov_smirnov_test_2 is different? Or I call it incorrectly?
>
> octave:1> kolmogorov_smirnov_test_2([1 2 3 4 5], [11 12 13 14 15])
>   pval: 0.0134759
> ans =  0.013476
>

> From R
>
>> ks.test(1:5, 11:15)
>
>         Two-sample Kolmogorov-Smirnov test
>
> data:  1:5 and 11:15
> D = 1, p-value = 0.007937
> alternative hypothesis: two-sided
>

> --
> Regards,
> Peng

It is hard to say and I can't find any situation when the conclusion
in Octave is wrong.

Could you please check the formulas in this paper (freely available)?

http://www.jstatsoft.org/v08/i18/

These are the ones used for the two-sided test in R. Maybe the Octave
version is using the approximation that R is not using. Can't say!

Just in case I added the mail of the author to this discussion.

Cheers