Re: Starting external programmes from Octave

From: Ossi Heinonen
Subject: Re: Starting external programmes from Octave
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 09:15:41 +0300

On 23.10.2012 13:45, Ossi Heinonen wrote:

On 23.10.2012 13:44, Andy Buckle wrote:
On 23 October 2012 11:36, Ossi Heinonen <address@hidden> wrote:
On 23.10.2012 11:27, Andy Buckle wrote:
On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 6:41 AM, Ossi Heinonen <address@hidden>
wrote:
Hi all

I need to open an external program from Octave. The program that I'm
trying to open is a FEA software Ansys Workbech. I've done this in
Matlab
using the dos command like this and it works just fine:
dos('C:/Program Files/ANSYS Inc/v140/Framework/bin/Win32/runwb2.exe') When I do the same in Octave I do get Ansys started but I also get an error right away and the program doesn't function properly and I can't
run
any analyses in it. I also noticed that I couldn't start Mathcad
properly
either whereas e.g. Matlab and Firefox started ok.
Any ideas how this could be fixed? I'm running Octave 3.6.1_gcc4.6.2
on
Win xp 32bit.

Best regards
Ossi

try
help system

--
DAS

https://linuxcounter.net/user/206392.html

I really can't make anything new from that. system('C:/Program
Files/ANSYS
Inc/v140/Framework/bin/Win32/runwb2.exe') does exactly the same. I'm I
using
the command wrong and how should I use it?

- Ossi
[status output]=system("foo.exe");

the output variable now contains stdout from foo.exe.

If it is a GUI that you are starting, you might want to use async.

system("notepad",0,"async")

No luck. The [status output] method gives me the same outcome, it starts
Ansys that doesn't work. And the output variable is empty, not that I
need
any output from Ansys, I just need to get it properly started and then
run
some scripts. The async argumenet didn't help either.

Are there other commands besides system/dos that could do the job?

- Ossi
system has always worked for me. I am clutching at straws now.

system("cmd /c notepad",0,"async")

something like that will start another shell, which will then call
another program.

I'll try that. But I just noticed that the error Ansys gives mentions a
System.UnauthorizedAccessException in the error details. So this might
actually be about insufficient access privileges. Is it then the Octave that
needs more priveleges?
The command string you are feeding system: does it work from outside
Octave, from the cmd prompt?

Yes, and also e.g. from Matlab.

I now have full control on access privileges to the Ansys install folder but still no luck. In task manager it says that the user running Ansys is actually me, but could Ansys somehow get confused and think it's being started by someone with no permissions? That it's Octave that is startng Ansys and not me? Well I suppose it could, I think this software newer stops fucking with me.