Re: Starting external programmes from Octave

From: Ossi Heinonen
Subject: Re: Starting external programmes from Octave
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 13:36:57 +0300

On 23.10.2012 11:27, Andy Buckle wrote:
On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 6:41 AM, Ossi Heinonen <address@hidden>
wrote:
Hi all

I need to open an external program from Octave. The program that I'm
trying to open is a FEA software Ansys Workbech. I've done this in
Matlab
using the dos command like this and it works just fine:
dos('C:/Program Files/ANSYS Inc/v140/Framework/bin/Win32/runwb2.exe')
When I do the same in Octave I do get Ansys started but I also get an
error right away and the program doesn't function properly and I can't
run
any analyses in it. I also noticed that I couldn't start Mathcad
properly
either whereas e.g. Matlab and Firefox started ok.
Any ideas how this could be fixed? I'm running Octave 3.6.1_gcc4.6.2 on
Win xp 32bit.

Best regards
Ossi

try
help system

--
DAS

https://linuxcounter.net/user/206392.html

I really can't make anything new from that. system('C:/Program
Files/ANSYS
Inc/v140/Framework/bin/Win32/runwb2.exe') does exactly the same. I'm I
using
the command wrong and how should I use it?

- Ossi
[status output]=system("foo.exe");

the output variable now contains stdout from foo.exe.

If it is a GUI that you are starting, you might want to use async.

system("notepad",0,"async")

No luck. The [status output] method gives me the same outcome, it starts
Ansys that doesn't work. And the output variable is empty, not that I need
any output from Ansys, I just need to get it properly started and then run
some scripts. The async argumenet didn't help either.

Are there other commands besides system/dos that could do the job?

- Ossi
system has always worked for me. I am clutching at straws now.

system("cmd /c notepad",0,"async")

something like that will start another shell, which will then call
another program.

I'll try that. But I just noticed that the error Ansys gives mentions a System.UnauthorizedAccessException in the error details. So this might actually be about insufficient access privileges. Is it then the Octave that needs more priveleges?