Re: plotting functions not working

From: avatarmh
Subject: Re: plotting functions not working
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 00:28:18 -0700 (PDT)

Please help me! I also am in the Coursera course and would like to take it
and learn. Unfortunately, I can't get Octave to work at all now. I know
nothing about Mac OSX. I know how to double-click on dmg files and have them
work. I don't understand anything anyone has suggested that involves more
than that. Also, when I see ">" I don't know where they are. Finally, I
don't know what bash, profile, etc. are. Please help me take this course,
which is nothing without a plotting capability.

First, I followed the original instructions, which entailed loading
(double-clicking on the icons of) Octave and gnuplot. Octave worked. I put
in an instruction at the prompt and it was interpreted.

Then I tried the "plot" function. Like the two posts before me, nothing
happened, then finally I got similar errors as my fellow students above.

Next, someone put XQuartz up on the installation site and said that was what
I needed. I loaded (double-clicked on) it. I reloaded Octave and gnuplot. I
double-clicked on Octave in my applicaitons folder and now I get the
following:

--------------
Last login: Sat Sep  8 03:20:27 on ttys000
exec '/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave'
Macintosh-34159e0b8e58:~ MiriamHeller$ exec
'/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave'
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/X11/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib
  Referenced from:
/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave-3.4.0
  Reason: image not found
/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave: line 68:  1793
Trace/BPT trap          OCTAVE_HOME="${OCTAVE_HOME}" PATH="${PATH}"
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH="${DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH}" CC="${CC}" CXX="${CXX}"
CFLAGS="${CFLAGS}" CPPFLAGS="${CPPFLAGS}" CXXFLAGS="${CXXFLAGS}"
FFLAGS="${FFLAGS}" LDFLAGS="${LDFLAGS}" DL_LDFLAGS="${DL_LDFLAGS}"
SED="$SED" MAGICK_HOME="${ROOT}" FONTCONFIG_PATH="${ROOT}/etc/fonts"
"${ROOT}/bin/octave-3.4.0" "$@"

[Process completed]

So now I can't even use MatLab.

Please help me. I will officially be behind on Monday, when I won't have
been able to go through the Octave Tutorial, Review Questions, and
Programming Problem.

I'd do anything if this could be interactive.

Know that you'd have an enormously appreciative person, if you could help
me. I've been at this over a week now.

Thank you in advance in anticipation of you helping me.