plotting functions not working

From: JonathanF
Subject: plotting functions not working
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 12:46:23 -0700 (PDT)

I'm using trying to use Octave as part of the Coursera Machine Learning
course.

I'm running Mac OS X 10.6.8.

I have Octave 3.4.0, Gnuplot 4.4 patchlevel 3 and Aquaterm all
installed, and X11 and XQuartz installed.

When I run Gnuplot the startup script runs without any errors
and I get the gnuplot> prompt.  When I run Octave the startup
script runs and I get the octave prompt.  Octave seems to be
working but when I try to plot something like plot(1:10) nothing
happens.  I can't figure out how to fix this connection between
Octave and Gnuplot.  Can anyone suggest what to try?