Re: Problem with print()

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Problem with print()
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 11:13:15 -0400

On Jul 22, 2012, at 8:13 AM, Nikolai Huckle wrote:

> CC: address@hidden
> From: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: Problem with print()
> Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 18:20:24 -0400
> To: address@hidden
>
> On Jul 21, 2012, at 6:09 PM, Nikolai <address@hidden> wrote:
>

> On 21.07.2012 20:52, Ben Abbott wrote:
> Please reply at the bottom to allow those arriving late to follow along
>
> On Jul 21, 2012, at 12:29 PM, Nikolai <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> On 21.07.2012 18:07, Doug Stewart wrote:
>

> On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 11:33 AM, Nikolai Huckle <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I'm having a recurring problem with the print-function. Everytime I try to
> save some of my plots to a pdf-file, it starts saving faulty images after
> maybe two good tries.
> The graphs in the files look as if drawn by a child, with a lot of data
> missing, barely recognizable as the real graph.
> And it doesn't matter if I try saving different plots or in a different
> format (i.e. .png).
>
> Does anyone know this problem and can maybe help me?
>
> Thanks in advance for any information or help.
>
> Nikolai Huckle
>
> What version of Octave  and what OS are you using?
>
> --
> DAS
>
> https://linuxcounter.net/user/206392.html
> I'm using Windows 7 and Version 3.6,1 mingw of Octave.
>
> Do you get similar results for both the gnuplot and fltk graghics toolkits?
>
> Can you give us a simple script do that we can reproduce the problem?  And
> attach the resulting PDF?
>
> Ben
> The results are the same for both graphics toolkits.
> I have attached a little script that just plots a 2D straight line, the
> resulting PDF which just has few missing data, and a PDF without the .m-file
> but it shows how bad it can look.
>
> I must add, that I might have solved the problem by myself, accidentally.
> Through adding it to the script, it somehow creates non-faulty PDF's. Before
> I always executed the script and then printed the graphs in the command line.
> But I'm not sure how long this will work, so it's maybe just another hint for
> you, what might be wrong.
>
> Nikolai
>
> Please try eps output.  If that works correctly, the problem will be with
> your Ghostscript.
>
> Ben
>
> I tried with eps output and the problems stays. The first 2-4 prints work
> perfectly and then suddenly it doesn't work anymore, on the same graphs.

I rarely use Windows, but I do have VBOX for Win7. I did some experimenting
with the MSVC2010 build of Octave-3.6.2.  Using the gnuplot graphics toolkit
works for me.

The MSVC2010 build of Octave-3.6.2.is available below.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/octave/files/Octave%20Windows%20binaries/Octave%203.6.2%20for%20Windows%20Microsoft%20Visual%20Studio/

If this isn't a good solution for you, let us know.  There are some mingw users
on the mail-list.

Ben