Re: octave on linux Mint

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: octave on linux Mint
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 15:13:41 +0200

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 2:09 PM, pantxo diribarne
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I installed linux Mint13 (Cinamon/Mate)  on a brand new workstation and want
> to install latest Octave release. I saw that it was supposed to be available
> on this platform
> (http://www.octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=Octave_for_GNU/Linux), but I
> couldn't figure out the way to install it. I tried to install through the
> application manager.
>
> Should I install Debian edition?
> Should I add a particular ppa/repository to synaptic?
>
> Pantxo
>
> PS : I am new to linux but have basic knowledge on unix systems.

Did you try compiling form source?
It should be pretty straight forward in Mint, since they use the
Ubuntu packages.
Make sure you have build-essentials installed and then do
 apt-get build-dep octave

More info here
http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Installation.html

--