Re: senseless warning in octave-3.6.2

From: Przemek Klosowski
Subject: Re: senseless warning in octave-3.6.2
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 09:29:48 -0400

On 07/03/2012 11:14 AM, Sergei Steshenko wrote:

So, vector differentiation depending on row/column property can _definitely_ be
abandoned - as the above example shows.

Instead Octave developers in their "infinite wisdom" introduce outlandish

row_vec OP col_vec -> matrix

behavior and even make it default.

There are three possible behaviors:

- inner product:        vector OP vector -> scalar
- element-by-element    vector OP vector -> vector
- outer product         vector OP vector' -> matrix

Every one of them is useful in some circumstances. Matlab language didn't really provide outer product, and broadcast fixes that, so what's not to like? Just about the only criticism I'd accept is that it's easier to make mistakes by inadvertently triggering broadcast operations, but since you can turn it off if you know you are not intending to use it, there's no harm.

On the other hand, many calculations can be expressed much more simply with the broadcast primitive.

To step back a little, this discussion reminds me of the phrase "Who moved my cheese !?". There is a short and sweet book by that title, about how to learn to embrace change in our fast-paced world:
http://lifetofullest.com/who-moved-my-cheese/

Whenever I feel buffeted by unexpected change, like Sergei in this case, I cheer myself up by remembering this idiom.