Re: Terms of use Mathworks file exchange

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: Terms of use Mathworks file exchange
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 22:25:53 +0200

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 10:10 PM, Judd Storrs <address@hidden> wrote:
> [...]
>

> That's irrelevent--it only addresses content when *submitted* to File
> Exchange. The GPL does not require anyone to host derivative works. The new
> ToS doesn't say you cannot use content obtained from File Exchange to create
> derivative works that compete with MathWorks products. It also doesn't say
> that you cannot sell or market products or derivative works elsewhere. Just
> that you can't do that on File Exchange. It has nothing to do with the
> license of the code itself. What this says is that if you need to compete
> with MathWorks products or sell or market products, host your stuff
> elsewhere.
>

>> However, GPLv3 also has a clause that if you receive a work with
>> additional restrictions, you may remove those restrictions. It's not
>> clear to me what the exact interplay is between all these clauses, but
>> the point is, the GPL has clauses that go against what they're doing,
>> so obviously they forbid the GPL for this exact reason.
>>

>> > Especially since the ToS explicitly states that the original
>> > license of the files is preserved.
>>
>> This is part of what it says. *Then* it adds additional restrictions.
>> Don't quote selectively. Read the whole thing.
>

> If you're referring to the restrictions you quoted above, they are not part
> of the license and do not affect code downloaded from file exchange at all.
> Those only affect what can be *uploaded* to file exchange.
>
>> > The GPL's teeth relate pretty specifically to the ability to
>> No, the GPL also has a lot clauses about how source should be
>> distributed. For example, in GPLv2, you may not charge more money for
>> the source than what you charged for the binary ("equivalent access"
>> to the source is the language it uses).
>

> MathWorks isn't charging for access and I see no evidence that MathWorks
> intends or intended to require fees. That's pure speculation and
> fear-mongering on your part.
>

>> > Also, you continue to misunderstand the BSD license. Unless
>> > MathWorks has some control of the copyright (via authorship,
>> > assignment or creation of a derivative work), it's only wiggle room
>> > is to distribute binaries without providing source.
>>
>> No, the BSD-like license explicitly allows "redistribution and use in
>> source and binary forms, with or without modification" with some
>> fairly mild additional clauses. In particular, unlike the GPL, it
>> doesn't forbid adding additional restrictions, so what the Mathworks
>> is doing *is* allowed under the BSD-like license.
>

> I'll agree that what they're doing is allowed under the BSD-like license
> simply because they're not modifying any licenses.
>
>> The Mathworks isn't purging the GPL out of the goodness of their
>> hearts. Obviously they felt threatened by it, and they responded to
>> that threat by adding additional legal restrictions. To me, if someone
>> feels threated by the GPL, then I question what restrictions they want
>> to add and why.
>

> Obviously MathWorks doesn't view GPL as useful to MathWorks and their

I do not understand why you said
"That's irrelevent--it only addresses content when *submitted* to File
Exchange. The GPL does not require anyone to host derivative works.
The new ToS doesn't say you cannot use content obtained from File
Exchange to create derivative works that compete with MathWorks
products. It also doesn't say that you cannot sell or market products
or derivative works elsewhere. Just that you can't do that on File
Exchange. It has nothing to do with the license of the code itself.
What this says is that if you need to compete with MathWorks products
or sell or market products, host your stuff elsewhere."

1.b Exactly say that for Content in general: " not to copy, reproduce,
distribute, transmit, broadcast, display, sell, license, alter,
modify, create derivate works from, frame, mirror or otherwise exploit
any part of the Site unless explicitly permitted by MathWorks.". So
although they respect the license in the code, if you want to use
their service you shouldn't do all that stuff there.

Be sure to check the meaning of "content" and check that 1.b indeed
applies to content.

--
M. Sc. Juan Pablo Carbajal
-----