Re: Terms of use Mathworks file exchange

From: Judd Storrs
Subject: Re: Terms of use Mathworks file exchange
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 12:13:24 -0400

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 5:28 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:
I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice, we probably shouldn't
even be discussing this publicly. But, here goes...

On 4 May 2012 16:56, Muhali <address@hidden> wrote:
> But to be able to do that requires some change of the code I guess.

No, no changes to the code are required to add further restrictions to it.

I think it's a little blown out of proportion, no? If you have BSD-licensed source, you have BSD-licensed source--it doesn't matter where it came from. If Mathworks does not hold the copyright to the files it cannot pursue anyone for copyright infringement of those files. Mathworks certainly cannot become a copyright holder just by wishing it were so without a copyright transfer or actually authoring something itself. At best they'd have a TOS violation if your interpretation is correct. But I suspect those clauses have more to do with policing/curating uploads--that they're requiring that all code uploaded there is somewhat on topic and usable in Mathworks products--and that they're free to delete things that aren't. For example, things that rely on octave extensions (say broadcasting or assignment operators) shouldn't be there.

--judd