Re: Terms of use Mathworks file exchange

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: Terms of use Mathworks file exchange
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 19:45:33 +0200

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 7:27 PM, Judd Storrs <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>

>> I don't there is much good will here. Deliberately excluding copyleft
>> and deliberately excluding software that may also work on Octave does
>> not seem like good will to me. I assume malice, not idiocy, because
>> they're sneaking this under the users' noses, and they are directly
>> attacking free software such as Octave.
>

> I think Mathworks is just trying to act as a sheppard to save their flock
> from the licensing morass so their users can focus on what matters--using
> their Mathworks products productively. I personally am extremely happy they
> purged the scourge of academic-use only licenses from their site. But I
> think the end-user experience is great--people can just go there and not
> have to scrutinize the licenses of individual components--that's what
> Mathworks is after. By standardizing on BSD, they've been able to shed the
> old license bickering (mostly via a selection effect--the licenses preferred
> by license bickerers aren't welcome). Mathworks users can just go to File
> Exchange and use stuff, they don't have to chart and analyze the licenses of
> all their submodules.
>
> Now, if Mathworks were to actually enforce the ToS under the interpretation
> you're proposing (if they have, I'm not aware of it) then I'd be outraged
> and I'll supply the pitchforks and torches. But they haven't actually done
> anything mob-worthy yet (other than cast out GPL-licensed packages years
> ago).
>

> --judd

May I call oyu attention to 1.b of the ToS

You agree not to copy, reproduce, distribute, transmit, broadcast,
display, sell, license, alter, modify, create derivate works from,
frame, mirror or otherwise exploit any part of the Site unless
explicitly permitted by MathWorks. MathWorks and its licensors reserve
all rights not expressly granted in and to the Site and the Content.
“Content” includes the text, software, scripts, graphics, photos,
sounds, music, videos, audiovisual combinations, interactive features,
and all other materials you may view on, access through, or contribute
to the Site.

What exactly do you understand by "use stuff"?

--
M. Sc. Juan Pablo Carbajal
-----