Re: Loading Excel files

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Loading Excel files
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 13:31:36 -0700 (PDT)

Mark Lytle wrote

> Arman,
>
> For a quick and dirty transfer, if you have data on your spreadsheet in
> columns, I have been able to copy and paste from the spreadsheet columns
> into the Octave editor, without problems from OpenOffice, I would assume
> Excel would not cause any problems with this method.  it makes for an ugly
> script file, as some of my data streams have over 600 entries. So I
> quickly change them, and store them as matrices and delete the original,
> rather long and ugly, data stream and script.  I place a "x=[ at the top",
> or (x and y for two data variables) and a "];" at the end, then another
> line the converts it to a matrix and saves it, this way:
>

> p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; }
>
> save stockdat.mat x y;
> and then once the matrix is named and saved, delete the file that created
> it...
>
> Hope that is helpful...

Quick? no
Dirty? yes
Helpful? I wouldn't say so, sorry.

Why use such convoluted methods if you can import spreadsheet files directly
into Octave using the io package?

Octave's spreadsheet I/O is much richer than that of the proprietary
competition: apart from Excel .xls it also supports reading & writing ODS
(OpenOffice & clones).
Better still, since UNO support (= invoking OpenOffice behind the scenes)
has been implemented, you can read (& probably write) any spreadsheet format
that is supported by OpenOffice.org / LibreOffice:
  .ods, .xls, .xlsx, .dbf, .wk1, .sxc, .fods, .uods, .xml, .html, .df, .pxl,
.slk, and yes: .csv as well
just to name a few.

P.