Re: Change editor

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Change editor
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 16:18:49 -0400

On 31 October 2011 10:09, mercergeoinfo <address@hidden> wrote:
> I don't understand where I'm supposed to edit the .m file to
> make gedit the editor instead of emacs.

Don't edit the edit.m file if all you want to do is use an infidel
editor. Set the EDITOR environment variable or use the EDITOR function
from inside Octave and blaspheme away with your other editor. You
might also like to look at the options in edit (I use "edit mode
async").

Also, don't use QtOctave if possible. It's abandoned and buggy. You
don't need it either. It won't help you learn the Octave language,
which you ultimately have to learn anyways to get work done. I find it
very telling that the machine learning class currently underway
doesn't have scores of people clamouring for a GUI; apparently when
you're following a class that teaches you how to use Octave, you don't
feel a need for File Edit Help menus.

That being said, we are working on a replacement GUI in Qt to be
integrated with Octave and will hopefully actually work this time. If
you or anyone you know would like to help with this, please contact us
on the maintainers' mailing list.

- Jordi G. H.