Re: Octave on CentOS 6

From: hvn
Subject: Re: Octave on CentOS 6
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 20:14:30 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 22:04:16 +0100, Martin Helm wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 1. November 2011, 19:53:21 schrieb hvn:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to get Octave running on CentOS 6, but get this message:
>>
>> octave: error while loading shared libraries: libhdf5.so.6: cannot open
>> shared object file: No such file or directory
>>
>> So I searched and found someone solved it by reinstalling hdf5. I
>> removed octave and hdf5, and installed again by yum octave and
>> octave-devel. Everything did install fine, but unfortunately, octave
>> still gives the same message when starting and quits.
>>
>> Any idea?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
> Are you sure the file is really there. Please run whereis libhdf5.so
> whereis libhdf5.so.6 locate libhdf5.so.6
>
> you can also use the rpm command to check what is in the installed rpm
> file like rpm -ql libhdf5-0 (this is on openSUSE the name of the package
> is most probably different on Centos you have to check its name)

$ whereis libhdf5.so
libhdf5: /usr/lib/libhdf5.so
$ whereis libhdf5.so.6
libhdf5.so: /usr/lib/libhdf5.so /usr/lib/libhdf5.so.7
$ locate libhdf5.so.6
/opt/scilab-5.3.3/lib/thirdparty/libhdf5.so.6
/usr/lib/mpich2/lib/libhdf5.so.6
/usr/lib/mpich2/lib/libhdf5.so.6.0.4

Looks like something's not quite right..