Re: Problems using fltk?

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Problems using fltk?
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 22:35:19 -0500

I am going to respond publicly, and I invite you to do the same (hit

2011/9/12 Terry Duell <address@hidden>:
> On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 13:12:13 +1000, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> How big is your mesh?
>
> 512x512

That really is big. I seldom plot meshes larger than 60 by 60 or
thereabouts. You can't really tell more than that level of detail
anyways, or at least I can't. Meshes this size (60x60) are what I said
take about a minute for me to plot with fltk.

>> This is a problem we have with fltk. Printing 3d plots is very
>> slow. How long did you wait before you killed the process? On my
>> system, a 3d plot of moderate size takes about one minute.
>
> I would be guessing but reckon the system was crawling for 3 to 5
> minutes after I killed Octave, and that was probably after about 5
> minutes. For info, I'm using a quad core 3400Mhz system with 8 GB
> ram, and do a lot of scientific processing. This is the first time I
> seen it brought to it's knees like that.

The quad cores won't help. Octave isn't multithreaded, so it will just
use one core at a time (unless your OS has a magic scheduling
algorithm I don't know about). If your system thrashed, it probably
was because Octave ate memory.

> Any pointers to fltk notes etc?

How to use it? Supposedly, it shouldn't be used any differently than
gnuplot once you enable it with "graphics_toolkit fltk". Or do you
mean that you want to help us fix this bad implentation of 3d
printing? Because we really do need help...

- Jordi G. H.