Re: Send standard error to the pager

From: Andy Buckle
Subject: Re: Send standard error to the pager
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 16:17:53 +0100

On 18 July 2011 15:47, markbn <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm executing an external program through Octave's system command. I want to
> know how to get the stderr output from the program into the "output" return
> parameter but I don't know how. I tried appending "2>1" to the command but
> that did not work. I tried the "unix" command and no luck either.
>
> Note however, that what I ultimately want is that this program's output be
> sent to the diary. Currently the output of the program (which writes to the
> standard error) appears on the screen even with diary on (it's actually sent
> to a specified file)
>
> How can I do that?

I don't think octave can at the moment. I just read what Matlab
does[1]. After reading that I have the impression that you would get
the error stream returned in the result variable. I think this may be
an incompatibility. I also had a quick glance at the octave source[2],
but not enough to understand it all.

[1]
http://www.mathworks.com/help/techdoc/ref/system.html

[2]