Send standard error to the pager

From: markbn
Subject: Send standard error to the pager
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 07:47:38 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I'm executing an external program through Octave's system command. I want to
know how to get the stderr output from the program into the "output" return
parameter but I don't know how. I tried appending "2>1" to the command but
that did not work. I tried the "unix" command and no luck either.

Note however, that what I ultimately want is that this program's output be
sent to the diary. Currently the output of the program (which writes to the
standard error) appears on the screen even with diary on (it's actually sent
to a specified file)

How can I do that?

Thanks