Re: Catching up to Matlab

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Catching up to Matlab
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 09:18:13 -0600

2010/11/1 Sergei Steshenko <address@hidden>:
> How do I know which of the functions exists both in Octave and Matlab,

This is a complicated question. Here is a partial answer with which
you may help:

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/stubs-for-missing-functions-td1679788.html

> and which function is Octave-specific,

Almost none are.

     http://octave.sourceforge.net/missing-functions/

> Now, a practical example:

This was unnecessary.

I am guessing you come from a Russian or Soviet background, where
copyright didn't really exist until the middle to late twentieth
century. I understand your frustration with copyright and restrictions
on what can be done. I am not trying to prevent you from doing what
you want, other people are, and I'm warning you that they could try to
do that. Your cavalier attitude towards the Mathworks' copyright
claims can be detrimental to the Octave community.

Copying verbatim a whole page of Matlab documentation and posting it
to the mailing list is not only unnecessary, but a very public
copyright violation. While I doubt the Mathworks would go around suing
you for it, they might for example request that Nabble and other
public loggers of the mailing list go and scrub your post from the
archives.

You are provoking an unnecessary hassle. The Octave community and its
developers are not your enemies that are trying to prevent you from
getting work done. Quite simply, the short-term solutions you're
proposing are unacceptable for numerous reasons I've already
described.

Please, we are not working against you. Don't treat us as if we were.

- Jordi G. H.