Re: Catching up to Matlab

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Catching up to Matlab
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 07:20:51 -0600

I shouldn't be responding, and I think this is definitely the last
thing I will say on the matter.

On 15 November 2010 07:07, Sergei Steshenko <address@hidden> wrote:

> Because Octave _users_ need _good_ documentation and can't care less about
> the developers' ideological objections to providing a link.

It's not a baseless ideological problem. I don't think you realise how
legally fragile a free project is. The smallest legal trouble can
cause huge problems for it. I already showed you a legal precedent in
which linking was invoked as illegal under copyright law. Besides
that, it's not a good long term strategy to directly depend on a
volatile resource provided by a hostile company. The problems are
practical.

But no, Octave developers must hate their users or something. That's a
better explanation.

- Jordi G. H.