Re: Matlab to Octave - precision and differential equations

From: Ben Barrowes
Subject: Re: Matlab to Octave - precision and differential equations
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 09:05:36 -0400

On Friday 01 October 2010 05:59:33 am R.S. Etienne wrote:
> Dear users,
>
> I have a Matlab code which has problems with the double precision
> limitation of Matlab. I am therefore looking for alternatives,
> particularly those where I don't have to change my code too much, and
> therefore I stumbled upon Octave. Before installing it, I would like to
> know whether Octave has this double precision limitation, or not. Can
> someone please tell me? If it does not have this limitation, then can
> Octave handle ordinary differential equations? I am using Matlab's
> ode45; is there an Octave equivalent, preferably one where the Jacobian
> does not need to be specified?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Rampal Etienne

You could try the multiple precision toolbox at the file exchange. Right now it
only works with ML
(just a collection C-mex files, haven't had time to port/test to Octave), but
if you redefine your
variables to the new mp class with this toolbox, you can have as much precision
as you need... at
the cost of execution speed.

http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/6446