Re: Opinions on Matlab compatibility, Octave development

From: Judd Storrs
Subject: Re: Opinions on Matlab compatibility, Octave development
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 11:31:49 -0400

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 6:00 AM, Alois Schlögl <address@hidden> wrote:
> 4) Octave - specific language elements like: k++, a+=b, fun(x)(:), etc.
> I understand that there might be an advantage of these constructs, in
> terms of performance.

For me, the advantage is semantic and until recently there is
absolutely no performance advantage (unless it was purely in terms of
parsing).

I guess my point-of-view is that more specific markup is likely to be
superior in the long run. Specific markup can always be machine
transformed into non-specific markup. And it's certainly easier to
modify the interpreter to optimize a++ than it is to make the
interpreter detect that a=a+1 can be optimized.

Anyway, there's no valid reason oct2mat cannot handle these cases
correctly. If it can't then it's a bug in oct2mat.

--judd