Pytave licensing (was: Re: calling octave from C)

From: David Grundberg
Subject: Pytave licensing (was: Re: calling octave from C)
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 08:34:27 +0100

Judd Storrs wrote:
Ok. I think you are overreaching by claiming that python scripts must
be GPLv3 as a result of using pytave.

1) Octave is an interpreter. The GPLv3 license does not apply to
interpreter input. e.g. m-files can be any license without violating
the interpreter's license.

2) python + pytave is also an interpreter. In order to distribute a
python + pytave interpreter, all components of the interpreter must be
GPLv3 compatible.

3) Python scripts are also interpreter input. They are equivalent to m-files.

--judd

Yes, I think Python + Octave must be distributed under the terms of GPLv3.

I think its unnecessary to discuss Octave at all. Pytave is licensed under GPLv3 on its own, and it doesn't matter what libraries it in turn uses. Since Pytave consists of Python code and is GPLv3, any other Python script that uses Pytave is a derivate work of Pytave.

You could turn the argument around and say that it's OK to take GPL'd m-files from Octave and distribute them with proprietary m-files. I think that is not the case.

David