Re: Octave crashing

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Octave crashing
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 02:10:11 -0500

On 19-Nov-2009, Matthias Brennwald wrote:

| As a matter of fact, it does not happen anymore... I have no idea why
| the problem is gone now. As far as I can tell I did not change
| anything. I tried running from different directories, but could not
| reproduce the error.
|
| > Is there a PKG_ADD or .octaverc file in the directory where you are
| > starting Octave?  If so, what is in those files?
|
| Yes, I do have an .octaverc file in my home directory. Here it is:
|
| ---------------------
| %%%% warning on Octave:matlab-incompatible % warn if using code that
| %%%% won't work with Matlab (it won't catch everything, though).
| addpath ('~/Matlab/')
| addpath ('~/Matlab/mcompartments/code')
| addpath ('~/Matlab/mcompartments/examples/example1')
| addpath ('~/Matlab/mcompartments/examples/example2')
| addpath ('~/Matlab/mcompartments/examples/example3')
| addpath ('~/Matlab/mataa/mataa_tools/')
| addpath ('~/Matlab/mataa/mataa_scripts/')
| addpath ('~/Matlab/matchromat/')
| addpath ('~/Matlab/matchromat/machines/')
| addpath ('~/Matlab/matchromat/machines/ANTRAWA/')
| addpath ('~/Matlab/cal_bottles/')
| addpath ('~/Matlab/matGSOD/');
| addpath ('~/Matlab/m_map/');
| addpath ('~/Matlab/m_map/private/');
| ---------------------

Your problem has the same symptoms as

  https://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/bug-octave/2009-August/009350.html

Did you have a pkg command somewhere in a startup file when Octave
crashed?

In any case, I can't duplicate the problem linked above.

| > Also, it's best to report bugs to the address@hidden list.
|
| Yes, sure, but I am not sure it this really is a bug in Octave (it
| might just as well be me or some other software package on the machine).

The bug reporting guide says

  If you are not sure whether you have found a bug, here are some guidelines:

      * If Octave gets a fatal signal, for any input whatever, that is
        a bug. Reliable interpreters never crash.

jwe