Re: Octave 3.2.2 for Ubuntu9.04?

From: Uwe Dippel
Subject: Re: Octave 3.2.2 for Ubuntu9.04?
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 17:11:27 +0800

John Swensen wrote:

1) Open a terminal
2) Run update-manager -d
3) Click the button that offers an upgrade.

Hope this helps you get a recent version of Octave up and running more quickly.

Don't. Ever.
I'm lucky I didn't do that in the first place, now I *tried* on a machine on the side, not my 'production' desktop.

I upgraded from a working and freshly updated 9.04 (apt-get update && apt-get upgrade) to Alpha 6, with
update-manager -d
after it had worked well on my netbook.
Despite of the upgrade going through without a hitch, after reboot everything is damaged, it seems. I get UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCIES just flashing by, in circles. And this with the old as well as the new kernel, including recovery mode. I can stop the going round in circles with Ctrl-Alt-Del, which will gracefully shut down the machine.

There are lots of people with a similar problem, usually it wouldn't go in circles, but still, not boot at all.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/e2fsprogs/+bug/427822
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/clock-setup/+bug/423247

Uwe