Re: Octave 3.2.2 for Ubuntu9.04?

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermos
Subject: Re: Octave 3.2.2 for Ubuntu9.04?
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 22:44:28 -0500

2009/9/19 Uwe Dippel <address@hidden>:
> Jordi Gutiérrez Hermos wrote:
>>
>> Raphaël has been hard at work as usual on making Debian packages:
>>
>>     http://packages.debian.org/sid/octave3.2
>>
>> Unfortunately, I think these packages got made after the latest Ubuntu
>> grabbed Debian's unstable snapshot.
>>

> Obvious:
> octave3.2 depends on libamd2.2.0 (>= 1:3.4.0); however:
>  Package libamd2.2.0 is not installed.

If you want to mix Debian and Ubuntu packages, despite warnings of
possible instability, use apt. That is, add a source line for Debian
repositories in /etc/apt/sources.list and use apt to install them.

The instability is much less likely if the Ubuntu packages are in
Universe, as those are the Debian packages that Ubuntu modifies the
least. I think for the case of Octave, most of the packages are
identical in Debian and Ubuntu.