Re: Building octave with large matrices support

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Building octave with large matrices support
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 16:22:43 -0400

On 25-Aug-2009, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:

| Yes, that is essential. Octave's index type (octave_idx_type) must
| match the Fortran default integer, otherwise you'll see failures (even
| segfaults). Also, there's currently no way to use a mixture (say,
| 32-bit BLAS with 64-bit SuiteSparse and 64-bit Octave) - that would be
| straightforward but big and tedious change (you'd need to specify a
| separate index type for each library and let configure sort it all
| out).

Yes, it might be possible, but I don't have much interest in
introducing this extra complexity.

I would like to improve the configure script to ensure that the
libraries have the correct integer size when Octave is configured with
the --enable-64 option.  As it is now, there are no checks, so it is
easy to build a version that won't really work properly.

jwe