Re: Print plot error

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Print plot error
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 21:14:02 -0400

On Aug 24, 2009, at 8:10 PM, Rob Mahurin wrote:

On Aug 24, 2009, at 6:19 PM, Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:
On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 4:39 PM, Rob Mahurin<address@hidden> wrote:
You probably want waitpid(-1,WNOHANG) so that print won't freeze if there is actually no child.

Attached as a patch (which is not a changeset, sorry). This would be good for 3.2.3.

With WNOHANG I see few (one or two) defunct processes remains after
loop of ~100 prints.

Sorry, I wasn't clear: it's safe to do
        while (0 < waitpid (-1, WNOHANG) ); endwhile

which cleans up any & all errant children, doing nothing if there are none.

That's not quite what I did in the patch, since I misunderstood waitpid's return values.

Ben Abbott asks:
Also what about children that are not zombies? Will such produce an infinite loop?

Not as written here (this one is tested).

Regarding the "zombies" does waitpid() kill them or just wait until the die?

No. A "zombie" is a process that has already called exit() but is being kept in memory so that its parent can check its exit status. There's a little information in the man page for ps, and wikipedia has a "zombie process" entry.

Rob

Sorry for my lack ... but will waitpid kill non-zombie children?

There is an active gnuplot for each figure window. Would wiatid terminate those children as well?

Ben