Re: Plotting problem

From: Thomas Treichl
Subject: Re: Plotting problem
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 22:06:16 +0200

Thomas Treichl schrieb:
William Miner schrieb:
John,

Thanks but I had already tried that and it didn't work (see below)

-rwxr-xr-x   1 williamminer  staff     133 Aug 17 14:02 test_plot.m

fin1:Octave williamminer$ ./test_plot.m
./test_plot.m: line 2: t: command not found
./test_plot.m: line 3: syntax error near unexpected token `t,'
./test_plot.m: line 3: `plot (t, cos(t), "-;cos(t);", t, sin(t),
"+3;sin(t);");'
fin1:Octave williamminer$

Buff

Hi,

I think your problem is that the shebang line

   #!/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave -qf

does not work. The reason why this actually doesn't work is Mac's sh which (I read this on several cites for other programs) does not accept shebang lines with more than 31 characters for the startup script... Your workaround for this could be this shebang line instead:

   #!/bin/sh /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave -qf

Hope this helps,
best regards

   Thomas

Hi again,

sorry, I didn't read carefully, this might not be the reason on your Mac because I see that Octave has been launched already in the error message. Then my last tip is, you maybe saved your test_plot.m script as "Mac text file" which doesn't work with Octave. This happens eg. if you use TextEdit.app for writing and saving the text file. I personally use eg. Carbon\ Emacs.app which per default saves files as Unix text file.

Sorry again for telling nonsense

  Thomas