Plotting problem

From: William Miner
Subject: Plotting problem
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 14:19:49 -0400

I’ve just installed Octave 3.2.2 and gnuplot 4.2.5 from SourceForge on my MacBookPro running Mac OS X 10.5.7. I got the i386 binaries. If I enter the commands

 t = 0:0.1:6.3;
 plot (t, cos(t), "-;cos(t);", t, sin(t), "+3;sin(t);");

by hand at the octave prompt, everything works as advertised. An aquaterm window opens and the plot appears.  However, if I created a file

#! /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave -qf
t = 0:0.1:6.3;
plot (t, cos(t), "-;cos(t);", t, sin(t), "+3;sin(t);");

and try to execute it either by “octave test_plot.m” or just “test_plot.m”  as described in the GNU Octave Manual Version 3 page 25, it fails (see below). Could thisw be a bash shell problem? By the way, I’ve set GNUTERM to aqua, i. e.

fin1:~ williamminer$ echo $GNUTERM
aqua

Thanks in advance!

Buff Miner

fin1:Octave williamminer$ which octave
/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave

fin1:Octave williamminer$ octave
GNU Octave, version 3.2.2
Copyright (C) 2009 John W. Eaton and others.
This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  For details, type `warranty'.

Octave was configured for "i386-apple-darwin8.11.1".

Additional information about Octave is available at http://www.octave.org.

Please contribute if you find this software useful.
For more information, visit http://www.octave.org/help-wanted.html

Report bugs to <address@hidden> (but first, please read
http://www.octave.org/bugs.html to learn how to write a helpful report).

For information about changes from previous versions, type `news'.

octave-3.2.2:1> t = 0:0.1:6.3;
octave-3.2.2:2> plot (t, cos(t), "-;cos(t);", t, sin(t), "+3;sin(t);");
octave-3.2.2:3> exit()

fin1:Octave williamminer$ cat test_plot.m
#! /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave -qf
t = 0:0.1:6.3;
plot (t, cos(t), "-;cos(t);", t, sin(t), "+3;sin(t);");
fin1:Octave williamminer$ octave test_plot.m
GNU Octave, version 3.2.2
Copyright (C) 2009 John W. Eaton and others.
This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  For details, type `warranty'.

Octave was configured for "i386-apple-darwin8.11.1".

Additional information about Octave is available at http://www.octave.org.

Please contribute if you find this software useful.
For more information, visit http://www.octave.org/help-wanted.html

Report bugs to <address@hidden> (but first, please read
http://www.octave.org/bugs.html to learn how to write a helpful report).

For information about changes from previous versions, type `news'.

fin1:Octave williamminer$ test_plot.m
-bash: test_plot.m: command not found
fin1:Octave williamminer$
--
Enig Associates, Inc.
Suite 500, Bethesda Crescent Bldg.

This message is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s), and
it may be privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission,
conversion to hard copy, copying, circulation or other use of this message
is strictly prohibited and may be illegal. If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, and delete
this message from your system. Thank you.