Octave 3.2.0 backend on MS Vista

From: bagvian
Subject: Octave 3.2.0 backend on MS Vista
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 10:49:52 +0200

Dear all,

I have recently installed Octave 3.2.0 on my MS Vista computer.
Everything looks okay, except the graphics.
During the installation I did not have any chance to choose the
backend, therefore gnuplot has been chosen as a default backend.
Now, I can display graphs but I do not have access to any graphs
manipulation toolbar (I am particularly interested in using zoom-in
and zoom-out functionalities).

In a previous Octave 3.0 installation, from the installation menu, I
chose jhandle which was just okay for what I am doing (toolbar with 3
buttons, among them, only 2 are functional: zoom-in and rotating).
Today I cannot manage to get the same kind of installation with 3.2.0.
(I have to precise that I have got the JRE and so on installed on the computer.)

Another funny thing is that on another computer with the same MS Vista
configuration, Octave 3.0 is install but it does not look the same.
Graphically, It more looks like what I have got with my current
qtoctave-0.7.2 installation: there is a toolbar with 8 buttons (copy
to clipboard, replot, toggle grid, apply the previous zoom settings,
apply the next zoom settings, apply autoscale, open configuration
dialog, open help dialog). I would be very glad to use this qtoctave
application, unfortunately, the 8 buttons from this toolbar are not
functional!

Would anybody understand was is going on with these backends?
What would be the way to install the last Octave with a proper set of
functional toolbar buttons on this MS Vista computer?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.
JB