Re: about Octave's syntax

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: Re: about Octave's syntax
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 01:54:33 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Thu, 7/2/09, Jaroslav Hajek <address@hidden> wrote:

> From: Jaroslav Hajek <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: about Octave's syntax
> To: "Sergei Steshenko" <address@hidden>
> Cc: "Søren Hauberg" <address@hidden>, "Eduardo Alejandro Cuesta Llanes"
> <address@hidden>, address@hidden
> Date: Thursday, July 2, 2009, 1:43 AM
> On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 10:29 AM,

[snip]

> IIRC, the license issues of BSD vs. GPL are fairly clear
> and well
> documented. A derivative work combining GPL and BSD must be
> under GPL.
> If you don't like it, don't make a derivative work - there
> are plenty
> of options.

[snip]

> Obviously, most of the Octave language was derived from
> Matlab. I
> don't think the formal grammar for the latter was ever
> published.
>
> --
> RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
> computing expert & GNU Octave developer
> Aeronautical Research and Test Institute (VZLU)
> Prague, Czech Republic
> url: www.highegg.matfyz.cz

Sp, do I understand you correctly:

1) 'octave' is a derived work of 'matlab' - because of the language;
2) anything that uses 'octave' syntax is a derived work of 'octave', and
thus should be released under GPL ?

:-).

That was my point - the OP maybe wanted in no way his work to be considered
to be derived works of 'ocatave'.

Regards,
  Sergei.