Re: about Octave's syntax

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: about Octave's syntax
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 10:43:04 +0200

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 10:29 AM, Sergei Steshenko<address@hidden> wrote:

> [...]

IIRC, the license issues of BSD vs. GPL are fairly clear and well
documented. A derivative work combining GPL and BSD must be under GPL.
If you don't like it, don't make a derivative work - there are plenty
of options.

> A tool that helps to use 'octave' should not necessarily be GPL'ed. And
> if the tool helps to use 'octave', 'octave' benefits, doesn't it ?

Not necessarily. Merely using Octave brings no benefit. It always
requires a bit more.

> Or GPL people are of the "who is not with us is against us" kind ?

Who are GPL people?

> Seriously, it's not a good thing to derive spec from code - regardless of
> tool and license.

Obviously, most of the Octave language was derived from Matlab. I
don't think the formal grammar for the latter was ever published.

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert & GNU Octave developer